New liquor law regulations require that staff who are already Smart Serve certified and working in the retail alcohol sector, including staff at authorized grocery stores, on-site and off-site manufacturer retail stores, complete an additional training module designed specifically for retail store staff.
The inclusion of new retail-specific content is intended to ensure that staff working in the alcohol retail sector have the necessary knowledge, skills and training to sell and serve alcohol responsibly in a retail environment.
Changes to the Smart Serve Training Program
The retail specific module has also been incorporated into the Smart Serve Training Program. Going forward, those new to the hospitality and retail industry and looking to be certified will complete the entire Smart Serve program, which includes the existing content as well as the new retail training.
Who needs to complete the Retail Alcohol Sales module?
- Designated employees of an authorized retail store who sell or handle alcohol
- Manufacturers' representatives and staff at on-site and off-site manufacturers' retail stores that are involved in the sale, service and sampling of alcohol in a retail store
What is the cost of this module?
This module can be accessed at no cost by all valid Smart Serve certificate holders.
How do I complete this module?
This module can only be completed online.
IMPORTANT: Before you attempt to access this module BE SURE TO CAREFULLY READ the instructions below to determine if you already have an Active Online Account or if you are required to Register first.
Login vs Register
Login directly to your account if you completed the course online after April 2011.
Register first if you completed the paper based training or the online course before April 2011.
**Be sure to create the new account under the same name as it currently appears on your certificate.
How do I access the Retail Alcohol Sales module from my online account?
Before attempting to access the module be sure to disable the pop-up blocker in your browser.
1. From your online account click on the "Purchase" button
2. On the Product Page select the "Retail Alcohol Training" and click on "Start Now"
3. If necessary, update the shipping information
4. Choose the language option (French coming soon) and click on "Continue to Course"
5. Work at your own pace and when ready, submit the final quiz within 30 days of enrollment
Additional information can be found in the FAQ section of this website.